Mama

I know it's not Mother's day anymore, but seeing that yesterday was a pretty busy day, I was not able to take the time and write about mom and her greatness as I wanted to. So I am doing it now...This is for you mom =)

It is actually quite hard to start and to find the right words to even describe how much I appreciate and love my mother. This is for billions of reasons but in order to not write a book (maybe one day I just might) I'll try to stick to the big ones. The first, is how she has literally saved my life, both temporally and spiritually. Growing up in New York obviously impeded the likeliness of growing up and being surrounded by members of the church. I mean there were some kids my age... But never in my school and we never got very close...well except for a few boys =). Point being: I was always friends with all nonmembers up until college. Well this of course got quite challenging or some thought it was challenging when my friends eventually began to do what was expected... drinking and smoking (mostly weed). And these were not just acquaintances of mine, but were in fact my very best friends. So, I honestly didn't care. They were actually fun to be around most of the time when they were drunk or high because they were more happy... and the girls would usually at some point start to ball like crazy which left me to have more fun with the boys myself =). Anyways, luckily for me, I was taught since I can remember that doing these kind of things are not something that I should or want to do and because of this, I was able to be around this behavior without ever wanting to do it myself. I can honestly say to this day, I have never even sipped an alcoholic beverage or smoked anything of the sort even though I have seen bottles and bottles of alcohol and tables literally filled with weed. And if it weren't for mom, I think I might not be able to say that.

Many parents want to restrict their children; Lock them up and keep them from what is going on in the world. Therefore; many of my mormon friends would literally think, if you smoke or drink you are down right evil. Well, fortunately for me, I had parents and an incredibly prayerful mother who did not lock me up but allowed me to be apart of the world and have faith that I would not give in to it, even though my friends had. This allowed me to not jump over the edge but to stay on the right side. I mean I definitely was a sneaky little teenager and I am sure I scared mom and dad to death many times, but I knew in my head and heart where I was at and that I would never succumb to actually doing what I was taught was wrong. Mom always made it sure that the matter what, she was there and that she loved me. She was able to let me go but because of her love, example, and trust, I always wanted to come back with clean hands. For that, I know that both my body and spirit have been saved.

Another ridiculously huge reason is her incredible example. My art teacher asked me the other day, picture the most beautiful thing that you have ever seen and it was her face that came into my head. I do not think it possible to grow up with a mother who was a better example then mom. She is always serving, trying to become better, and always putting every one first. She never means harm and I think would rather die than intentionally hurt someone; physically and emotionally. She also has taught me to become a pretty decent homemaker. I was probably able to run a house when I was age 8, simply because of her incredible teaching experiences and I am sure she could attest to that. Because of her I learned to care for children and babies. I was able to learn how to cook. She always let me experiment in the kitchen, even if I was only 5 and making cakes using bread and yogurt. She would always ask for my help at all the meals and there is a picture of me, age 8, having made my first batch of cookies all by myself because of her eagerness to teach and willingness to let me try. She also taught me to clean. I was doing my own laundry about the age of 8 too and only because I wanted to! She has taught me how to run a house and now that I am married and on the brink of bringing children into this world, I am confident that I not only can do it, but that I can do it well. (even though I am however, still somewhat scared...)

Lastly, (again for the sake of length) she has become a best friend. We have always been close. Even in high school, during my lovely teenage girl years, we were able to have a good relationship despite some of our long fights into the night (mostly about me talking to Jimmy on the phone). But now, she is literally one of my most treasured friends. I do not call her because I need a "mom" (well sometimes I do) but I call her because I just want to talk to my friend. We talk daily and it is actually weird if we do not talk after a few days. And when I was home the last few summers, I think I spent more time with her than any of my old friends. She is so fun to be around and I just love how much she is apart of my life. I know that the hardest part for me in Arizona will be that she will not be there as we could easily move to New York where she is.... we are hoping they will move because like I said, she is a best friend.

ALSO so I do not leave the most important thing out...mom (and dad) has taught me the Gospel. She has taught me how to pray. I am now able to get on my knees and know that I am not alone. I am now able to have a testimony in our Savior and in the only true church. I am aware of my mission in life and that I am literally a daughter of deity. For this, I do not think I could ever thank mom and dad enough.

Mom- You could not have done better. I look up to you and honestly see you as one of the people closest to reaching the Celestrial kingdom. I thank you for everything you have done and I hope you know how much I love you.

Comments

Popular Posts