Being a Woman
"Femininity does not equate weakness"
I heard this quote today and loved it. So many people put women down if they are girly in any way. Being a woman should not be equated with being less of a decent human being. Being a woman is a beautiful, powerful privilege. God made women for a miraculous purpose. I personally think it is sad when people do not realize how amazing it is to be a woman. Sure, we have periods, have to sit on the toilet seat, and go through labor, but we also get to do so many amazing things, namely being a mother. In my opinion, there is no greater thing in the world.
I am often called "girly" because I like romantic gestures, care about my looks, and love to buy clothes. However, usually when called this... it is done with a negative connotation. So I instantly want to defend myself..."I throw a football further than any girl I know", "I know and actually care more about sports than any girl I know", "I actually prefer horror and action movies", "I put on make up because I am not naturally pretty" etc..etc..
But this is dumb. I should not have to defend myself in my head to make myself feel better. I AM A GIRL!!! and I have to say, I like being one. Right now, mostly because I am justified to get to just stay home with the most beautiful and amazing little girl in the world. Back then, probably because well... silly boys would do things for me =)
But just because I put makeup on, straighten my hear, and wear cute clothes does not mean that I am a silly pathetic bimbo which "girly" often means now a days (with its common negative connotation). It simply means that I am feminine in some ways which (hence the quote)... does not equate weakness!!!
Oh, it also means, that my husband still gets to have as he would like to put it, "A sexy hott wife!" =)
Oh, and some of you might think "Being girly isn't being given a negative connotation", but unfortunately, lately at least from the conversations I have been a part of, they go hand in hand lol especially for some reason directed at me. But it's okay! I have come to accept and love being a woman =)
I find it a little odd that it says "Jimmy" posted this. =) I remember a class at BYU where the teacher was McConkie (Bruce R's son) and he said that most great creators save their best creation for last. God's last creation was woman.
ReplyDeletehahaha wooops... yes that was not written by jimmy =)
ReplyDelete"I put on make up because I am not naturally pretty"
ReplyDeleteNot sure if this one fits with the others, unless you meant the opposite?
Kathy you are very pretty, and have never needed makeup!
Maybe that's what you meant and I didn't understand. Either way, your post is right on.
lol well thank you Jacob. What are you doing up at 6:30am ? I wrote that particular comment because I do not like buying or putting on makeup, I only do it because I don't feel very pretty without it. Your complement means a lot though. Appreciate it =)
ReplyDelete