Bitter Sweet



Well after 4 months I have finished my first part of student teaching which is referred to as O&P. It's purpose is mostly to be in a classroom and observe what is going on and how the teacher teaches. However, I am sure I am not alone when I say that it was definitely not a lot of observing. Within my very first week, I was teaching when I did not have to. We had to formally teach a lesson 7 times and be observed by both people from BYU and our cooperating teacher but I definitely exceeded that number of teaching. Which I am actually extremely grateful for. I had a teacher who literally told me, "I'm going to through you into the snake pit, it's the only way to learn" and well I definitely did learn.

I think the most amazing thing about this experience was how incredible it felt to be the teacher. It is one of the best feelings in the world (to me) to be working and teaching with children as the actual teacher. It was literally a dream come true, to have the class all to myself. It was so fun to be the only one up there and to be able to do whatever I wanted! I loved to be the one to spark their thinking and to watch them slowly understand different concepts. It was so fun to be up there and be able to laugh and discuss ideas and different topics with them. I loved to come up with fun activities and games to help them learn. And I loved building relationships with these students!! Oh my goodness, honestly it has really shown me how our Heavenly Father can and truly does love each and every one of us. I fell in love with each student in this class, whether they were a trouble maker or an angel. I really do miss them so much. I think the hardest thing for me will always be saying goodbye at the end of the year.

It got a little rough between me and the teacher towards the end though. His name is Mr. Duarte and well we have VERY different teaching styles. For one, he is a man. LOL no offense to men but they really are so different from woman and it definitely shows when teaching elementary students. He is extremely strict and most of the class is pretty scared of him. He also hates to plan and has told me time and time again that he will not grade papers or work at home. He also would ask me to teach but not to even look at what I am teaching until the day of. This really frustrated me because I like to plan because I like to be creative and to come up with fun and exciting ideas. However, he says it is impossible to do that and it is not real. So, he likes to come in and then see what he has to do. Then, he makes me make copies for a million worksheets which is basically what the students do ALL day. This infuriated me because I think that is lazy and ridiculous. I know that some of the other teachers for my friends would take the time to plan immensely and some would send out a newsletter every week explaining what was going to be taught or how things were going. But Mr.D was definitely not that type which of course, I am. I will always be the kind of teacher who goes the extra mile and I think that's why we bumped heads a lot.

But he was a great example to me and even though I was kind of relieved to be finished working for or under him, I am very grateful to him and all that he let me do. I am so excited to do my student teaching in Arizona! Despite what Mr. D says, I think it will be really good for me because I can become familiar with the Arizona school system, standards, and so forth.

Anyways, I loved my O&P teaching! My favorite time was when Mr. D was absent and we went on a field trip. The sub just sat back and so it was SO fun for me because I was it the whole day and on a field trip! It was like Christmas! I am so glad that I have found something that I enjoy so much. It was sad saying goodbye to them. But they were cute and I got a lei and flowers and a big card that was signed by all of them. I also made cookies for them. I gave each of them a huge M&M cookie, in a gift bag with a ribbon and a name card. They thought it was the coolest thing. Lol kids are so fun! It is nice to have finished though and go to the next step... bitter sweet =)

Here is a pic of me, after I came home from my last day!

Comments

Popular Posts