Our First Trip to the ER
I always thought that Lexi would be our first visit to the ER, but not even a week after we got home from New York, Izaac beat her to it.
Some would say (like my husband) that I really didn't need to take him in but I did lol. I'll get to that in a little bit.... =)
It was on a Saturday morning. Jimmy was working and me and the kids were playing in the living room. I was on the couch and in the mist of playing legos, both kids were getting up and down on the couch and giving me things they built (okay Izaac was just giving me legos).
That's when it happened. As Izaac was getting down, his leg I think got caught underneath him, and he fell face first onto the floor. Now the couch isn't even that high, so it wouldn't have been too bad, except for the fact that there was a lego there.... right smack in the middle of where his face hit, just above his lip.
Blood was everywhere, he was obviously crying, as was I, and pretty soon, Lexi chimed in too. It was a pretty spectacular moment there for a minute.... NOT!
I wasn't sure what to do. In any situation where there is a big or deep cut I have always just run the other direction without looking back or if it's on me, I close my eyes tight and never want to open them again. Call me a baby, its okay =) ... Just writing about this is hard!
And so since my kids have only had minor scrapes, I've just never personally dealt with big injuries before.
Obviously in this case I could not run away or keep my eyes shut so I manned up. I cleaned it, calmed Izaac down, and examined what we were dealing with.
Here is where I lost it again. I mean lost it. I was almost certain he was going to need stitches and worse, that he was going to have a terrible scar in the middle of his face for the rest of his life. I felt so entirely guilty it made me sick.
I called Jimmy in tears and told him to come home NOW! (cuz well I don't have a car)
**It should be noted that Jimmy NEVER answers the phone when he is at work, especially the first time I call and this time he did. It was definitely a small miracle in my eyes
Jimmy was awesome, he was home in no time. Though when he inspected Izaac himself, he did not think we really needed to go in.
But here's the thing. We were both new at this, it was right on his face and on his lip follicles, and I really really felt like I should take him in.
So I did. Jimmy stayed home with Lexi and me and Izaac headed off to the hospital.
When we arrived there was no one there. It was empty. But as we were filling out paper work, people just kept coming in. We actually would have just went straight back, but there was a guy who couldn't breathe, so they took him first.
Anyways, it led to a bit of a wait. Izaac was great though and I didn't mind snuggling him at all so it was actually quite bonding and endearing.
He actually had quite a ball playing with the remote!
Eventually we saw the physician's assistant and she told us that she wanted to just use some glue. In my defense, she did say that she might've done stitches if he was older.
I am glad we went just because I was able to watch her put the glue on which I had never done before and I felt better that I knew I did all that I could.
Izaac still has a little scar but it really is fading over time, so I am praying that one day he will wake up, and the scar will have completely disappeared!
Next time I will be more prepared and confident!
Not that I am hoping for a next time.....


Comments
Post a Comment