Bugga Bugga Bug



A little while back, when I went outside the front door one morning, I found a particularly large and interesting looking beetle type of bug just lying 3 inches from the door.

He was on his back but still wiggling a little so I thought, why not catch him and show the kids. 

I am really trying to teach our kids that bugs are not scary but just fun little creatures (with spiders, this is ALOT more difficult... okay maybe it's impossible)

Anyways, I told Lexi that there was a big bug outside and that we were going catch him and put him in a jar. She of course, was over joyed. Together we got the jar, and the tissue to pick up our subject with.

Well, it wasn't the finest moment as we captured him. I mean I really thought it would be somewhat easy and cute. 

Haaaa...

This monstrous thing hissed at me (LOUDLY) as I picked him up and completely caught me off guard.

So as soon as I had him, I shut the door quickly so that I could get to the jar which was on the counter in the kitchen (because why would I not have brought the jar to the bug?...way too easy I guess) and in the process of scurrying out of the doorway and closing the door behind us (we always have to make sure it's closed otherwise a little 1 year old will you know... run in the street as soon as possible) I ended up shutting it on Izaac's little finger, which happened to be in that little crease on the opposite side of the handle.

So as I am trying to get this huge thing off the tissue and into the jar, who by the way is still hissing at me, Izaac is screaming over his little hand. My poor little boy. I felt so terrible.

Crazy moment.

Luckily, as soon as I did get the bug in the jar and showed it to Izaac, he completely forgot about his finger and was just entranced with this beetle. 


All throughout the day the kids kept wanting to see him and hold the jar. 

And Lexi kept saying, "Bugga Bugga" ALL day, since that is what they say on Dora in the one episode that features a bug. Hehe, it was pretty adorable.




It added a fun little twist to our day. 

We kept him until daddy came home that night and then we set him free. 


Comments

  1. Sounds like a The ten-lined June beetle (Polyphylla decemlineata), also known as the watermelon beetle, is a scarab beetle, living in the western United States and Canada. The adults are attracted to light and feed on foliage but do not damage the plants. They can make a hissing sound when touched or otherwise disturbed, which can resemble the hissing of a bat. This sound is made by their wings pushing down, forcing the air out between their wings and back. They can be an agricultural pest affecting a wide range of crops because their larvae feed on plant roots and can weaken or kill the plants.[1]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts