Back at it! (Without the man...)


Our little champ is back at gymnastics again! Last year with traveling to Phoenix so much in the summer and then with the kitchen renovation, and holidays and such, it was just so hard to be in a weekly promise to gymnastics. But we are back at it and more excited then ever!!

I was just telling Jimmy the other night, I feel like so far in my four years of being a mother, one of the most rewarding and amazing feelings has actually come from watching our girl do gymnastics.
It might sound silly to some or dumb to others, but to sit there and watch your child excel so well at something is just the most amazing and coolest thing. 

This last week, her class spent almost the whole hour on the beam and it was impossible to not smile and beam with joy as I watched her stay on it so well with each new trick that they did. 
It's also amazing because Lexi is definitely the youngest in her class, but with things like the beam, her skill level is just as good as the other girls, if not better. 

However, we did experience a hiccup this week. 
She has been going on Monday afternoons and done great. She runs out there with her coach and class and doesn't look back. However, this past week, they had another coach working with her class.
And he just so happened to be a man....

Lexi was clearly not okay with this. 
In the beginning, after he had joined their class, she just froze. Literally. She would not move and completely ignored even her familiar coach. It was like she had floated up out of her body. 
And I knew right away, it was because of the man lol

Eventually I went out there and talked to her for a minute and pretty soon she honestly seemed okay, so I left her back with her class and I was happy to see that she was back to following instructions. Well, the man or Alan lol, clearly wanted to help her and make her like him, so after she had started participating, he immediately called her out. "Oh wow Lexi!, you had the best forward roll of all the girls, why don't you show everyone how you did it!"

Oh my gosh.

Well, if anyone knows Lexi, you would know that,  that is basically the worst thing that you could ever possibly do lol... (she still does NOT do well with strangers, especially men, and she definitely does NOT feel comfortable being the center of attention)

A huge gush of tears was of course immediate, and she looked like a mix between just having seen the scariest ghost imaginable and wanting to hit that man as hard as she could with a baseball bat. 
She was not happy. 

Ughh, well, seeing her like this caused me to get emotional too...

 It's just so hard to see your child so upset and so uncomfortable, plus I was kind of embarrassed and I too, do not like being the center of attention, and there we were, right in the spot light. So I made the situation like 10000 times worse lol

Oh man. Well, needless to say, we ended up leaving a bit early that day and I was so worried she was going to be permanently scarred from gymnastics for life.

Turns out, Alan was going to be taking over that Monday class for coach Kat, (which is why I think he tried so hard to get Lexi to like him). Anyways, long story short, they said we could just switch to Wednesdays, 

Lexi must have asked me a million times before going again on Wednesday afternoon, "The man is not going to be there though, right??"
And to her liking he was no where to be found on Wednesday lol.
So she ran out there just like normal and everything was fine. Wheeeewwww.

Clearly, we have a lot of things to talk about and get over, over here...

Anyways, we love gymnastics and I just couldn't imagine anything better to fit Lexi's personality and strengths (other than her fear of strange men). She is so brave, strong, balanced, and determined, and I am so excited to see her continue to progress in this sport!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts