Mommy is Boss
Remember when I told you Lexi was becoming a two year old?
Well, she is no longer becoming...
She is one. (At least in the phase)
This last weekend was another one of those rough ones. On Tuesday morning, Jimmy called our house a madhouse, as I think Izaac, Lexi, and me were in tears at the same time. I took offense at first, but really, clearly it was the truth.
But we eventually weathered the storm and it was actually one of those things that turns into something really really positive. Jimmy and I were able to talk ALOT about Lexi and how we wanted to handle her. Because obviously some things that we were doing were not working.
I now feel much more ahead of the game, closer to Jimmy, and a lot less stressed!
We basically decided that since Lexi is a VERY strong willed, intelligent, and stubborn little girl, that she needs some serious boundaries. We also decided a lot of... IF she does THAT, then we DO THIS. This is great because now when she does things that usually make me go crazy, I already know what to do. The most helpful one is what to do when she throws a fit. When she throws a fit, which she just loves to do now, we simply put her on her bed and leave the room. We can't punish her for being emotional. She still is only 1 and she is my child after all. But we can teach her that those kind of emotions need to be dealt with on her own time in her own space. She isn't allowed to come out until she is done being a lunatic.
We tried doing this in the past but I would usually cave after 5 minutes and try to come her down, or get mad at her for screaming for so long. I just thought, "She should not be allowed to act this way!" But I soon realized, I was asking too much. She needs to learn things in steps.
So now, sometimes she will cry in her room on the floor (the spitting image of a toddler tantrum) for over 10 minutes, but eventually she learns, she is getting no where and it is dumb. It is very funny to then see her walk out in smiles. It's like she completely erased what just happened from her mind. So if I don't interfere, it is much better.
.... I honestly still do not know what to do if she throws this kind of tantrum when we are out of the house. So far she has been great in stores and such. Ideas would be lovely as I feel it is so much better being prepared then not having a clue at what to do!
Anywho, Lexi is now sleeping in her bed! No more crib AT ALL! and she is actually sleeping MUCH BETTER! Who knew!?! We took the mattress out of the crib so it was no longer an option and she has been awesome with the bed! I am so proud!
We have also been a lot more strict with her juice intake and diet and her choices. I have been saying the phrase, "It's this or nothing!" ALOT lately. But it has been so much better the last couple of days.
I love being a mother and learning new ways to do the job better. It is so liberating and makes life so much sweeter. Best job in the world!
Oh and for the record, Izaac is fantastic. If it wasn't for his patience, easy-going spirit, and ability to sleep anywhere, I probably would have killed Lexi by now! =)
Well, she is no longer becoming...
She is one. (At least in the phase)
This last weekend was another one of those rough ones. On Tuesday morning, Jimmy called our house a madhouse, as I think Izaac, Lexi, and me were in tears at the same time. I took offense at first, but really, clearly it was the truth.
But we eventually weathered the storm and it was actually one of those things that turns into something really really positive. Jimmy and I were able to talk ALOT about Lexi and how we wanted to handle her. Because obviously some things that we were doing were not working.
I now feel much more ahead of the game, closer to Jimmy, and a lot less stressed!
We basically decided that since Lexi is a VERY strong willed, intelligent, and stubborn little girl, that she needs some serious boundaries. We also decided a lot of... IF she does THAT, then we DO THIS. This is great because now when she does things that usually make me go crazy, I already know what to do. The most helpful one is what to do when she throws a fit. When she throws a fit, which she just loves to do now, we simply put her on her bed and leave the room. We can't punish her for being emotional. She still is only 1 and she is my child after all. But we can teach her that those kind of emotions need to be dealt with on her own time in her own space. She isn't allowed to come out until she is done being a lunatic.
We tried doing this in the past but I would usually cave after 5 minutes and try to come her down, or get mad at her for screaming for so long. I just thought, "She should not be allowed to act this way!" But I soon realized, I was asking too much. She needs to learn things in steps.
So now, sometimes she will cry in her room on the floor (the spitting image of a toddler tantrum) for over 10 minutes, but eventually she learns, she is getting no where and it is dumb. It is very funny to then see her walk out in smiles. It's like she completely erased what just happened from her mind. So if I don't interfere, it is much better.
.... I honestly still do not know what to do if she throws this kind of tantrum when we are out of the house. So far she has been great in stores and such. Ideas would be lovely as I feel it is so much better being prepared then not having a clue at what to do!
Anywho, Lexi is now sleeping in her bed! No more crib AT ALL! and she is actually sleeping MUCH BETTER! Who knew!?! We took the mattress out of the crib so it was no longer an option and she has been awesome with the bed! I am so proud!
We have also been a lot more strict with her juice intake and diet and her choices. I have been saying the phrase, "It's this or nothing!" ALOT lately. But it has been so much better the last couple of days.
I love being a mother and learning new ways to do the job better. It is so liberating and makes life so much sweeter. Best job in the world!
Oh and for the record, Izaac is fantastic. If it wasn't for his patience, easy-going spirit, and ability to sleep anywhere, I probably would have killed Lexi by now! =)
Comments
Post a Comment