Small & Simple Things
Late in February, I was asked to be in charge of the decorations for the Relief Society Birthday Dinner for March 8th. So at the time, I only had a short two weeks to figure it all out.
(Yes, I freaked out a little!)
I am a big planner, and so with little time and then also with a pretty small budget, I was super nervous about it.
But....
Oh - My - Gooooodnesss!
It ended up being one of the coolest projects I have ever done! So I thought I should blog about it.
Usually I don't post about Church stuff that I do, just because I feel like I want my blog to be more family oriented and focused, but I just can't resist this one.
I got to choose between two different themes and decided to go with, "Small and Simple Things"
From there, I of course, went online to see what I could find, to try and spark some ideas. I honestly didn't find much lol, but eventually I came across this one post for a young women's night in excellence, and fell completely in love with it.
It had the idea to show case different things that were small and insignificant but that eventually turned into amazing things. WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!!
I decided that each table could show case something different. And luckily for me, my best friend Jess, was my right side man, and together, I think we came up with some amazing ideas and displays.
I decided to go for a rustic kind of theme, with wood, burlap, and lots and lots of glass! And I am so so happy with the way everything turned out and the opportunity I had to do such a unique and fun theme. I will definitely do this again!
Here are the different tables for the night. And with each table we had a cute quote to go along with it.
The Pearl
(Here a beautiful and stunning pearl is produced within an oyster all because of a tiny grain of sand)
The quote, "An irritating, tiny grain of sand cultivates layers of luminous, miraculous, one of a kind BEAUTY just as life challenges, cultivates, and evolves each of our souls."
The Diamond
(Here if enough pressure is used, simple black coal can form a miraculous diamond)
(Note *I know this truly isn't the case, but it made for a terrific table! lol)
The quote, "God turns coal into Diamonds with time and pressure. He may be doing the same with you."
Bread
(With a few measly ingredients, a substantial warm loaf of bread can be made)
The quote, "God gives us the ingredients for our daily bread, but he expects us, to bake it!"
The Butterfly
(A mere slow caterpillar will one day transform into a wondrous flying, butterfly)
The quote, "Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly."
Lemons
(Together with some sugar and water, sour lemons can make a delicious and tasty drink!)
The quote, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!)
A Twig
(The smallest twig can someday grow into the tallest of trees)
The quote, "Acting on even a twig of faith, allows God to grow it."
The signs
Jess actually free handed these! I thought they turned out absolutely perfect!
A couple days prior to the event, I was then asked to make cupcakes as the dessert. And of course I said, "YES!" I really was so excited to do this and had so much fun with it.
I decided to make six different kinds. I did three completely from scratch and then three completely from mixes to try and make it, not too complicated.
The ones from scratch came out surprisingly well! I made a coconut one, an oreo one, and then a caramel one. All of which I will be making in the future! I don't know how I got so lucky to pick such amazing recipes!
Then from the mixes, I did just a plain vanilla and chocolate, and then a butter pecan.
I was super grateful for the opportunity I had to help do this and to have an excuse to do some fun decorating and baking.
I truly enjoy doing these things and instead of a stress, it is just so rewarding and fun for me.
I think it's also so important for our kids to be seeing mommy and daddy helping out with Church things. I spent so much time preparing for this dinner, and I love that my kids knew that it was for the Relief Society. Just some food for thought.
Anyways, I also was grateful to really think more about such an inspiring theme. I really do believe that by small and simple things, great things can come to pass.
I was super grateful for the opportunity I had to help do this and to have an excuse to do some fun decorating and baking.
I truly enjoy doing these things and instead of a stress, it is just so rewarding and fun for me.
I think it's also so important for our kids to be seeing mommy and daddy helping out with Church things. I spent so much time preparing for this dinner, and I love that my kids knew that it was for the Relief Society. Just some food for thought.
Anyways, I also was grateful to really think more about such an inspiring theme. I really do believe that by small and simple things, great things can come to pass.
That is all!



























Looks like you did a beautiful job! Your creative skills are top notch and your cupcakes look like all those professional ones!! Well done. Your ward is very lucky to have such amazing talent as you. I agree that is very important that our kids see us serving in the church. Keep up the good work. :)
ReplyDeleteNot to mention the awesome photography. You are really talented Kathy!
ReplyDelete