Memorial Day 2017
I really want Memorial Day to always be a special day in our family.
When Jimmy served in the Marines and was deployed, twice, we got to know first hand, what the sacrifice of serving really was. Combat was no longer just a far off thought. It was our every day life. We couldn't talk for days or even weeks sometimes. Jimmy would be in life threatening situations. Both deployments he didn't have a real meal for over 7 months. He slept in a sleeping bag for over 7 months. He says the heat was so strong sometimes that it was like living in the insides of a dragon.
I mean I could go on and on.
And even when he wasn't deployed, there was always a part of him that was "property". These people in our military give up so much more than we realize.
I feel like before Jimmy enlisted, I was part of this sea of people, who really had no idea at all about the military and about their sacrifice, especially those that were deployed. It was just something you would hear about every now and then.
I am so grateful for Jimmy and for allowing me to be a part of a different sea of people. A group or even family of people who I believe, are the bravest and strongest in the world. I am grateful that I can now understand a little bit better what so many men and women have done for this country, especially those that have died and sacrificed their lives.
And even though Jimmy is no longer in the Marines, I still feel so honored to be his wife.
I love so much that my kids have a father who would do anything to protect and serve this country. And that they can always say now, that their Dad was a Marine and did fight for our country. And I take pride in the fact that he still does serve this country by being a police officer.
So, yes, I want this particular day to be special.
So I decided that before we went to Grandma and Grandpa's and then to Jake and Cari's later that afternoon, that we would first go down to the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona, that morning. It is a huge amazing cemetery for just Veterans down in Phoenix. Jimmy had to work too so it made it all the more reason to go I think and remember those that serve us.
And this is definitely going to be a new tradition now.
I had no idea how big and nice this cemetery really was! And it was packed! Even at 8 in the morning! It was an amazing feeling to drive through it and see so many flags and people wanting to celebrate and remember those that lost their lives for us. It made me feel very patriotic. I actually got teary while we were driving around looking for a spot and talking to the kids about war, veterans, and America.
I was so glad that the kids got to be there and see everything as well.
After we found a spot, we got out with some flags and went to see some of the graves. Most of the graves we saw were of Veterans who had fought in World War II. The kids were actually more interested than I thought they would be. It was pretty amazing.
Before we left, we knelt down and said a prayer right there in the cemetery. I cried here too. We thanked Heavenly Father for our freedom and for the people that were brave enough to fight for what was right and for their country. And we also prayed for Daddy. It was an unforgettable experience.
It was pretty hot though and so we left shortly after. We stopped and got donuts and then went to Grandma and Grandpa's house. And then shortly after that, we went over to Surprise, to Jake and Cari's. We celebrated the day there with lots of good food, great conversations, and swimming. It was really nice.
Happy Memorial Day!















Comments
Post a Comment