A Memory Found
I've been doing a huge deep cleaning the last couple months. Going through every spec of dust, every piece of clothing, to every single paper in our house. So, I have been coming across some pretty interesting stuff. Today, I flipped through the journal I kept when Jimmy was in Afghanistan.
Wow. Flood of emotions and memories.
I didn't talk much about what it was like having Jimmy go to war, to really anybody. In fact, at the time, I was even off Facebook. I mostly kept all my feelings inside, and a few on paper. Some how it was easier that way.
After reading some of this journal, the vision of Jimmy walking away with his M-4 in his hands on a rainy chilly night keeps replaying in my head. When he left for Iraq, we said goodbye at the airport so it was a bit easier. Here on this night, was way different as he marched off and on to the bus, fully armed.
There is nothing like that.
The vision of him returning though, has also been replaying in my head. It was again, rainy and chilly, but warmer and brighter as it was I think about 5 in the morning. I didn't really go to sleep because I wanted to look just perfect when he stepped off that plane. I think I got up at like 3am.
That moment I am forever grateful for, and always will be. I still can see Jimmy's face as he stepped off that plane. There is nothing like that either.
Now that Jimmy is out of the Marines, I forget sometimes what we went through together, and what the military life was like. He is such a brave man and I am so amazed at what he is capable of. I am glad we have journals to keep these memories alive because they are so real and are of so much value.
That is all.
Wow. Flood of emotions and memories.
I didn't talk much about what it was like having Jimmy go to war, to really anybody. In fact, at the time, I was even off Facebook. I mostly kept all my feelings inside, and a few on paper. Some how it was easier that way.
After reading some of this journal, the vision of Jimmy walking away with his M-4 in his hands on a rainy chilly night keeps replaying in my head. When he left for Iraq, we said goodbye at the airport so it was a bit easier. Here on this night, was way different as he marched off and on to the bus, fully armed.
There is nothing like that.
The vision of him returning though, has also been replaying in my head. It was again, rainy and chilly, but warmer and brighter as it was I think about 5 in the morning. I didn't really go to sleep because I wanted to look just perfect when he stepped off that plane. I think I got up at like 3am.
That moment I am forever grateful for, and always will be. I still can see Jimmy's face as he stepped off that plane. There is nothing like that either.
Now that Jimmy is out of the Marines, I forget sometimes what we went through together, and what the military life was like. He is such a brave man and I am so amazed at what he is capable of. I am glad we have journals to keep these memories alive because they are so real and are of so much value.
That is all.
Comments
Post a Comment