It's Done!!! (in a singing voice!)

When Jimmy told me this was the house he wanted, I put up a couple stipulations in order to concur.

1. The wood stove was history
2. The stairs and hideous orange tile downstairs would be covered in carpet

There were of course other things that I wanted to do, but these were my two immediate ones.

I was so serious about this that I had the carpet guy come measure the day we moved in =)

**These stairs are not in code and are dangerous enough. So just having wood and then tile at the bottom...was somewhat (ok VERY) petrifying as a mother of two small children.**






Carpet was a must.

Well unfortunately, this guy told us that stupid tile (being ceramic) had to come up first before we could get carpet. And later the next day we found out, Home Depot would charge over $1500 just to get it up for us!!!

Grrrrr.

This basically meant we were on our own. At this point we didn't even have internet, so the next few weeks, I worried about other things (like getting internet).

Eventually, I got to the point where this tile was next in line. I didn't want to wait anymore and I felt like I should just do it.

I was somewhat nervous because many people told us it was a very hard job with this kind of tile but I wouldn't know till I tried right?! I mean, I had the time, I'm somewhat strong, and I have lots of motivation.

AND Jimmy was in no hurry to do this and even if he was, did not have much time, so it was either me or me.

So, this one night that Jimmy was asleep by 8:30pm, I left him and the sleeping kids, went to Home Depot and got myself a thick hammer and chisel, a S wonder bar (got the idea from this chick on Youtube), some safety glasses, and some gloves. Oh, and some lovely caffeine.

I woke up the next morning eager to start! I first tried to get a tile square off in the corner of the room. This way, if it was impossible for me, it wouldn't ruin the entire room. LOL

Well, this one was impossible for me but that train of thought was quickly thrown out the window as I just thought, "Screw it, I'm starting with the tile that already feels like it's popping up!"

This tile was in the middle of the room. But what the heck right?!?!

And hallelujah!!!!!!! With a couple hard hits (kind of fun to just bang on something as hard as you can!) it came up!!! The whole entire square!


AND after only about 45 minutes....


I will never forget standing up and looking at this after I did it. I seriously felt like I could do anything.
Wahooooooo!!!! 

It definitely took some elbow grease. 
An hour later, I couldn't even pick up Izaac without feeling a massive strain on my arms. But it was WAY easier than I anticipated. 
DEFINITELY NOT $1500.

Maybe I should go into the construction business.....




Making Progress!

It only took a couple of days! And honestly, the clean up and scraping out under the trim was much harder than actually getting the tile up itself.


Tile NO MORE!


Wait for it wait for it.....

 CARPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Happy Happy Happy!


For the record, Jimmy took out 3 tiles =)

But I am now in the taking out tiles business. $1500 per room =) 
Contact information given upon request. 

Comments

  1. Good job. It's awesome downstairs now. And about me helping...I guess you forgot I worked 97 hours in 7 straight work days. I was a little busy that week making our money =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing you can't do, is there, Kathy! Congratulations to you and to that great guy you married who's working hard to pay for the carpet... love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thank you Sister Ketcheson! love you right back!! And babe, I know. I wouldn't want you doing that with the time you have at home. Much more fun to play with you, then to have you working here too! And we do appreciate the money! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts