Lesson Learned

I still have several blogs to write to catch up, but I had to intercede with this one so I just wouldn't forget.

Last night after we put Lexi to bed, she got up a couple minutes later and said she had to pee, so I let her do her thing and then put her back to bed.

A couple minutes later, she got up again and claimed she had to poop. Well, I once again, I led her to the bathroom but this time after a few minutes it was clear she couldn't go, or like she says "it doesn't work".... So she peed a tiny bit and was off to bed again. Leading me to fear, she has obviously learned a new and suitable excuse to get out of bed.

A couple minutes later, she was up again, insisting she had to pee AGAIN. Well this time, I told her, no. I told her, "No, you need to go to bed, you just peed TWICE, and don't get up again!"

Well a couple minutes later, I heard crying. I went in their room and found her literally mortified and crying, "I peed in my diaper, I peed in my diaper", over and over again.

Side note ** Lexi has not had an accident (in regards to the potty) since our trip to Sedona at Thanksgiving, when she decided it was time to quit peeing in those pull ups for good, excluding when she wears a diaper at night and is sound asleep.

And it was absolutely heartbreaking to see how devastated she was that this had happened. I almost cried on the spot with her because I felt so terrible as it was obviously my fault.

So I hugged her tight, apologized for not allowing her to pee, calmed her down, gave her a fresh diaper, and sat with her for several minutes until she actually dozed off to sleep.

I learned a very valuable lesson as a mother last night and it still just won't leave my brain. I am so grateful for this job. For all that it teaches me. And I am so grateful for a little girl who truly wants to be good.

That is all =)

Comments

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself; the school of motherhood is full of ups and downs, but the rewards are worth everything, aren't they? You're doing a great job at it, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts