Zavier's MRI

We knew that this day was coming for a long while but even still it was hard.
Even though Zavier had been given anesthesia earlier this year, it still was nerve wracking to think about how he might respond.

It was also of course, nerve wracking to get the results. What if something had worsened?

Anyways, we woke up early and dropped the two older kids off at Melissa's so that she could bring them to school. And then we were off to the hospital.

And once again, Zavier was in an excellent mood despite having had nothing to eat or drink. He is such an angel. Though he did not appreciate his hospital bracelet lol. It was off in a matter of seconds which he then used as a chew toy. =)

 We didn't have to wait very long and were soon called back. And I instantly fell in love with his nurse. She was so great with him and she was extremely animated. I thought it was so cute and nice of her to try so hard to keep him comfortable and happy.

Together we got Zave into his hospital gown. Though after he was dressed it kind of gave me a knot in my stomach. It's not really the most uplifting apparel for a mom to behold her child in. I just wanted to change him back and take him home. And also shout, NOTHING IS WRONG WITH HIM. But I kept my cool.

The anesthesiologist then met with us and like the previous one, told us that we would not be allowed to go back with him. We kind of expected this though. Luckily he was very kind and reassuring and Zavier immediately let the nurse take him when it was time and so it helped that he wasn't screaming.

I did get teary though. It was so difficult for me to not go with him.

Of course it helped that Jimmy was there. Together we took a short walk and ended up in a beautiful room called the "Serenity Room". There were plants, stones, a waterfall and lots of nice benches. After that we went to get a drink from the cafeteria. And shortly after we had made our way back to the waiting room, they were ready for us!

Zavier was just waking up when we got to him and he was pretty upset but immediately calmed down when we gave him a bottle. I loved having him back in my arms. I loved feeling his heart beat next to my chest and smelling his breath. I don't know if it was the setting or because of his condition or what, but I was just so grateful to have him in my arms.

We had to stick around for a while until they gave us the green light but luckily because Zavier was doing so well that it didn't take too long. And next thing we knew we were on our way to his Neurosurgeon, Dr. Tian's, office.

It was crazy because usually after scans it takes a while to get the results back because you have to wait until the radiologist reads them. But when you are seeing a neurosurgeon, you get to skip that step lol. No need for someone else to read the scans.

Dr. Tian was immediately able to tell us the results. And once again I kind of hoped that maybe just maybe some how nothing would be wrong. But that wasn't the case.

Complete Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum was confirmed. As was Dandy-Walker Variant. Dr. Tian told us that radiologists would say it was the Malformation but she disagreed. This was actually really good news since the Variant is looked at as a lot less severe.
However, we were then informed that Zavier also had what's called, Gray Matter Heterotopia. This meant that Zavier had grey matter in parts of the brain that it wasn't supposed to be in. Consequently giving him much higher chances of having seizures and other developmental delays.

It was hard to hear. But Jimmy keeps reminding me that it doesn't matter what the scans show. What matters is that Zavier is doing so well. And of course that is true.

OH! Also there was still no sign or any indication of hydrocephalus! This was great news as well. Dr. Tian told us that because of this there was really no reason to see her again either and that from here on out unless anything changes, that we will just need to keep seeing the neurologist. We meet with her for the first time in July.

I am glad today is done. But I am more glad that Zavier is doing so well. He is and always will be our miracle and I feel so honored to be his mom.

We love you Zave Zave!












Comments

Popular Posts