The Start....
K so here we go =)
If you have been wondering, where I have been the last month (ok closer to two)... you will now have your answer.
I will never forget Jimmy exclaiming over and over, "This is the one! This is the one!, within seconds of being inside the house on Puma Circle (otherwise known as our house today)
However, despite his enthusiasm, I was still quite hesitant.
What's that big ugly pellet stove doing there?
The tile downstairs is hideous and will probably kill the kids, if they fall down those wooden stairs.
And, you think THAT is going to be our kitchen?
I mean...
-Where is the microwave? and where is it supposed to go?
-Why is the sink only 5 inches deep?
-Is there even a color to call what the cabinets are?
Not to mention, the old appliances and the fact that it just goes straight into the garage...
But, low and behold, even with the hideous kitchen, I agreed, it was such a great home, and perfect for our family.
So we moved in.
And for the last two years, I have gone in the garage to use the microwave each and every time, have cleaned up hundreds of pools of water on the floor due to the most shallow sink ever created, and used the damaged, weird stained colored cabinets every day.
Until finally, Jimmy and I agreed, it was time to be rid of it all.
We were going to get it all redone!!
Oh my goodness, I was SO excited!
Well... after talking to lots of people, having a contractor come check it out, and having a refacing consultation, even I did not want to put THAT kind of cash into the kitchen.
It's one thing talking about it, it's another thing actually taking out the thousands of dollars from your account.
It just didn't make sense, even to me, mainly because this isn't even our end house.
So I was pretty bummed.
That's when I thought.... maybe I can just do this myself.....
At first I looked into getting new cabinets and putting them in with my brother as well as getting and installing new counter tops.
I spent almost 4 whole days, measuring and looking at cabinets online.
Which was a complete waste because at the end, that didn't make sense either.
Anyways, to make this blog somewhat shorter...
I decided in the end to remake, and then to paint all my cabinets myself.
And my brother Jacob agreed to help put in a new sink and get that microwave installed above our oven.
And so it began....
I will never forget taking all the doors down and thinking...
"This is it, don't get scared now"
(yes I really thought that)
And for good reason, this project was absolutely GINORMOUS! and was probably the biggest project I will ever do... inless of course, I do it again in our next house hehe =)
Anyways, here are the before pictures
Aren't those cabinets pretty? =)
Too be continued...





Comments
Post a Comment